CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, August 22, 2008

God is So Merciful to Me - Be Exalted

I grew up singing "Be Exalted" at church. It's beautiful and worshipful. But, until today, I didn't know why the song was written. The lyrics are straight from Psalm 57.

Psalm 57 is about David - when he was hiding out in a cave. King Saul's soldiers were after him - trying to kill him. Escaping to the cave takes place right after David's experiences recorded in 1 Samuel 21.

David, who had trusted in the Lord God, started relying on his own ways in 1 Samuel 21. He lied to a priest. And then he lied a few more times to the same priest. Then, he lied to Ahimelech. Strangely, he went to King Achish of Gath (the Philistine city where he killed Goliath) and he lied there, too. For some reason, he felt that he needed to use lying to get him out of the messes that he created. God did get him out of this mess and David escaped to hide in a cave.

And in this cave, David had a change of heart. In Psalm 57, David asks the Lord for mercy, he trusts in the Lord, and he looks to Him as his refuge. He tells the Lord that he will exalt Him, sing to Him, and praise Him.

What a wonderful lesson for me. I get like David - start lacking with trusting God and I use my own ways to get out of trouble. Then, I just start declining and things continue to get worse. But, I can come back to the Lord and renew my faith and trust in Him, just like David did. God is so merciful.

Be Exalted, O God



Psalm 57

1
Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me,
for in you my soul takes refuge.
I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings
until the disaster has passed.

2 I cry out to God Most High,
to God, who fulfills {his purpose} for me.

3 He sends from heaven and saves me,
rebuking those who hotly pursue me;
Selah
God sends his love and his faithfulness.

4 I am in the midst of lions;
I lie among ravenous beasts—
men whose teeth are spears and arrows,
whose tongues are sharp swords.

5 Be exalted, O God, above the heavens;
let your glory be over all the earth.

6 They spread a net for my feet—
I was bowed down in distress.
They dug a pit in my path—
but they have fallen into it themselves.
Selah

7 My heart is steadfast, O God,
my heart is steadfast;
I will sing and make music.

8 Awake, my soul!
Awake, harp and lyre!
I will awaken the dawn.

9 I will praise you, O Lord, among the nations;
I will sing of you among the peoples.

10 For great is your love, reaching to the heavens;
your faithfulness reaches to the skies.

11 Be exalted, O God, above the heavens;
let your glory be over all the earth.

5 comments:

Amrita said...

Beautiful song. i am trouble subscribing to your blog by bloglines. When I copy and paste your blog address the wrong blog shows up ? ? ?

Amrita said...

Now I can subscribe to your blog, earlier the wrong blog kept showing up

Sita said...

Encouraging word to hear today. Just yesterday, God brought the song "We Exalt THee" to my mind...Thank you for sharing..

Peggy said...

Blessings my dear Maisie...YES GOD IS and I, too am like David and you! I'm thankful for His mercies
Thanks for sharing on Psalm 57!
May HE BE EXALTED as we seek HIS REDEMPTION and HIS FACE! May our hearts be pure and like David's in God's eyes! I'm so glad that you find your refuge in Him come back to the Lord and renew your faith!
Praying that you are rising up under the wingsf the Almighty! Let Him help you carry your troubled heart! I'm glad these lyrics mean something more after today!Thanks!

Cathy said...

Just beautiful ~